Javascript is either disabled or not supported by this browser. This page may not appear properly.
James Wallace Haverfield
USS Arizona
Information provided by Ohio State University
James Wallace Haverfield was born April 11, 1917 in Uhrichsville, Ohio.  After receiving his B.A. from Ohio State University in 1939, In school, Haverfield was a member of Beta Theta Pi and was active in Scarlet Mask.  Haverfield enlisted in the Naval Reserve as an apprentice seaman September 11, 1940.  He accepted an appointment as a midshipman March 16, 1941 and, after completing his training at Northwestern University, was commissioned Ensign, June 12, 1941.  Ensign Haverfield reported to the battleship ARIZONA (BB-39) at Pearl Harbor June 28, 1941, and remained there. 

To Dr. and Mrs. Tracy Haverfield, four cays after Japan's treacherous attack on Pearl Harbor, came an ominous telegram.  As for all parents with sons in the war theatre, a wire from the United States Navy Department was a fearsome thing.  The Telegram informed them that their son, James Haverfield, was "missing in action", that he "went down with his ship."  In line with Navy orders, details were not made public.

The Navy destroyer escort vessel, USS Haverfield (DE-393), was named in his honor.


Displacement:  1,200 t.
Length:  306'
Beam:  36'7"
Draft:  8'7"
Speed:  21 k.
Complement:  186
Armament:  3 3"; 2 40mm; 8 20mm; 3 21" torpedo tubes;
          2 depth charge tracks;
          8 hedge charge projectors;
          1 hedge hog
Class:  EDSALL

HAVERFIELD (DE-393) was launched 30 August 1943 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston; sponsored by Mrs. Tracy
Haverfield, mother of Ensign Haverfield; and commissioned 29 November, Lt. Comdr. Jerry A. Matthews in command.

After shakedown in the Caribbean, HAVERFIELD joined escort carrier BOGUE's (CVE-9) hunter-killer group in
patrolling Atlantic convoy lanes in search of marauding German U-boats.  Departing Norfolk 26 February 1944, the
hunter-killer group, aided by a Canadian corvette and British aircraft, sank U-575 on the 23rd of March.  With
some seven survivors of the Nazi submarine aboard, HAVERFIELD continued her patrol to Casablanca, where she
reported to Commander, Moroccan Sea Frontier, and turned over the German prisoners 18 March.  After returning to
Norfolk, HAVERFIELD sailed on her second offensive combat cruise with the BOGUE group 5 May.  Operating with another HUK group under escort carrier BLOCK ISLAND (CVE-21), the BOGUE force sank RO-501, ex-U-1224, at 18d 08m N., 33d 13m W., 13 May as the former German ship was heading for her new home in Japan.

Reaching Casablanca 29 May, HAVERFIELD was ordered out that same night to render emergency assistance to survivors of escort carrier BLOCK ISLAND, sunk by a German torpedo off the Canary Islands.  HAVERFIELD rescued one of six BLOCK ISLAND fighter pilots who had been aloft when the carrier sank, but a long search failed to locate the remaining five men.  After this, HAVERFIELD continued to operate until the European War ended in May 1945 on trans-Atlantic HUK missions as well as on patrol along the icy Great Barrier.  When all German U-boats still at sea had been accounted for, the destroyer-escort underwent a Boston overhaul; and, after
intensive training in Cuban waters, sailed for the Pacific 19 July to be ready for the invasion of Japan.  Reaching
Pearl Harbor via the Panama Canal and San Diego 1 August, HAVERFIELD was there when the war ended in mid-August and at the end of the month assumed convoy escort duty from Saipan to Okinawa.  She patrolled the China coast and then streamed her homeward-bound pennant, reaching Boston 15 February
1946.  HAVERFIELD sailed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., 25 March 1946, decommissioned and went into reserve 30 June 1947.

Reclassified DER-393 in September 1954, HAVERFIELD was converted to a radar picket ship at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and recommissioned there 4 January 1955.  Fitted with the latest electronic detection equipment and with 50 tons of ballast in her keel to compensate for the topside weight of the new radar antennae, HAVERFIELD trained off the East Coast and then reported to her new home port, Seattle, via the Panama Canal and San Diego 23 July.  HAVERFIELD served as flagship of the newly created CortRon 5 in addition to regular radar picket patrol off the Pacific coast.  After 5 years of this duty, she reported to Pearl Harbor 10 April 1959 for similar employment along the Pacific Barrier. Departing Pearl Harbor 16 May 1960, HAVERFIELD sailed to a new homeport, Guam, to make surveillance of the Trust Territory Islands and to ensure the safety and welfare of the islanders.

After participating in Operation Cosmos, which provided navigational aids for and was prepared to render emergency assistance to President Dwight Eisenhower's plane as the Chief Executive crossed the Pacific on a good will tour, HAVERFIELD operated with the famed bathyscaph Trieste as it descended the Marianas Trench to a near-record dive of 19,300 feet 30 June 1960.

Following her support of this scientific endeavor, HAVERFIELD conducted antisubmarine and search and rescue
patrols among the Bonins, the Marianas, and the Caroline Islands.  For almost 5 years, she served primarily in the
Trust Territory of the Pacific, though twice she deployed to the Far East.  Steaming to Japan in October 1960, she became the first radar picket escort ship to operate with the 7th Fleet in the Western Pacific.  In mid-October 1961, she returned to the Far East; and, upon relieving destroyer JOHN R. CRAIG (DD-885) on patrol in the Formosa Strait, she became the first of her type to join in this important peace-keeping operation.  She continued intermittent patrols off Taiwan until 10 January 1962 when she steamed via Japan
to resume patrol duty out of Guam.  In November, Typhoon Karen left widespread destruction on Guam, and HAVERFIELD, the first ship to return to the storm-wracked Apra harbor, provided valuable supplies and services.

HAVERFIELD returned to Pearl Harbor March 1965 and, after joining Escort Squadron 5, sailed 19 June for duty off
South Vietnam.  There, she participated in "Market Time" patrols to guard against infiltration of North Vietnamese
troops and supplies by sea.  She served "Market Time" for 7 months, then returned Pearl Harbor 2 February 1966. 
Departing for the Far East 23 May, she resumed "Market Time" operations 9 June.  Eleven days later, she participated in the most significant action of the operation up to that time.

A 100 foot, steel-hulled North Vietnamese trawler, attempting to infiltrate "Market Time" patrols with a large
cargo of arms and ammunition for the Viet Cong, was detected by U.S. Coast Guard patrol craft POINT LEAGUE (WPB-82304) near the mouth of the Co Chien River in the Mekong Delta.  A chase and fire fight followed, during which the patrol craft forced the enemy trawler aground.  The enemy abandoned the
burning ship; after wiping out enemy shore resistance, "Market Time" units, including HAVERFIELD, sent volunteers
on board to fight fires and salvage the captured cargo.  While American and South Vietnamese teams extinguished the fires, other volunteers offloaded almost 80 tons of ammunition and arms, including mortars, recoilless rifles,
machine-guns, and antitank weapons.  This represented the largest seizure of the "Market Time" operation and thwarted a determined attempt by the North Vietnamese to supply Viet Cong.

HAVERFIELD continued "Market Time" patrols during the next 5 months.  In addition, she provided gunfire support 6
September against the enemy on Phu Quoc Island, South Vietnam.  She returned to Pearl Harbor 6 December, remained there until late April 1967, and then resumed patrol duty off South Vietnam.

For her participation in World War II, HAVERFIELD was awarded one battle star as well as the Presidential Unit
Citation for her antisubmarine work in the Atlantic.

          Stricken from the Navy Register on 2 June 1969, HAVERFIELD was sold on 15 December 1971.